Walking is probably the most effective and easiest form of excersise.
No gym membership needed and no fancy equipment needed. Simply walk out your front door and move. There are a few tips on how to get the most of your walking routine that may help you to reach your goal quicker.
I love walking. It has always been my chosen form of exercise. I love the freedom of walking out my front door and letting my feet take me wherever I want to go.
Remember when you were a kid and you could walk for blocks and blocks. We didn’t think of it as exercise then, it was just getting from point A to point B.
Studies show that walking just 25 minutes a day can add years to your life.
The research, presented at the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Congress, followed 69 people between the ages of 30 and 60. Those who engaged in daily moderate exercise, such as a brisk walk or jog, high-intensity interval training (HIIT), and strength training experienced anti-aging benefits that could add an additional three to seven years to your life.
The researchers recommended a 20-minute daily walk to reap these benefits. Amazing. Just 20 minutes can add years to your life. I think it’s safe to say that 20 minutes is not a lot to endure for that kind of benefit.
If you are walking to lose weight, you might want to know how can you boost your daily walk to help you achieve your goal quicker.
I have a few Ideas for you. Some I learned many years ago while I was on a weight loss race for a friends wedding. And I still use them today.
Walking can be fun. I use it to check out my neighbors gardens and front porch decor! 😄
Here are a few ways you can boost your walk.
Track your steps.
This isn’t only motivational, but fun to watch how many steps you increase as it becomes a habit. There is something that happens to boost your motivation when you can see how many calories you have burned while you walked. I recommend downloading a app on your phone that tracks this. I recommend MYfitnesspal. It shows you you future weight if you continue to eat and exercise at the rate you enter. Can you say MOTIVATING!
Be conscious of your tummy.
Make sure to hold in your tummy while walking. This will also help to tone your tummy muscles. Kill two birds with one stone!
Embrace those inclines!
Don’t go looking for the steepest hill in your neighborhood to tackle. Especially if you are not a experienced walker. But, DO look for small inclines. This will boost your calorie burn, and will also work muscles you would normally work on flat walkways.
Try increasing your pace at times during your walk. At one point you may find that your legs are burning. PUSH through this (don’t over do it!) And eventually you will see that “Speed” walking is just second nature.
Move to music.
I have found that when I am listening to some of my favorite music I breeze right through my walk! I also think about sunny days at the beach and riding my beach cruiser and how much easier and better I will feel when i am in comfortable beach attire. This is extremly motivating! (Remember to not listen to loud. You want to be aware of your surroundings.)
Think Safety while walking PLEASE.
- Make sure you have comfortable shoes. Walking is going to become part of your daily routine. So make sure you invest in something that will take care of your feet. They are the only ones you will ever get!
- Stretch before you walk and after you walk. Yes, after as well. And remember, if you start to cramp or get sore during your walk stop and take a moment to stretch out.
- Make sure you maintain good posture during your walk. If you start to slouch you may do harm to your back or other parts of your body. So maintain awarness when it comes to your posture.
- Make sure to wear comfortable clothing. There is nothing worse then getting out on the trail and finding out that your either to hot or to cold.
- Apply suncreen and wear a hat. Especially if you are sensitive to the sun. You dont want to get a sunburn. That can ruin your morale!
The most important thing is to get out there and start moving. Don’t over think it, just walk out that front door and get going. You’re going to feel better and you’re going to be happier for it!